CompTIA Security+ (SY0-401)
IT security is paramount to organizations as cloud computing and mobile devices have changed the way we do business. With the massive amounts of data transmitted and stored on networks throughout the world, it’s essential to have effective security practices in place. That’s where CompTIA Security+ comes in. Get the Security+ certification to show that you have the skills to secure a network and deter hackers and you’re ready for the job
This course is targeted toward an Information Technology (IT) professional who has networking and administrative skills in Windows-based TCP/IP networks and familiarity with other operating systems, such as OS X, Unix, or Linux, and who wants to further a career in IT by acquiring a foundational knowledge of security topics; prepare for the CompTIA Security+ Certification examination; or use Security+ as the foundation for advanced security certifications or career roles.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- identify the fundamental concepts of computer security.
- identify security threats and vulnerabilities.
- examine network security.
- manage application, data and host security.
- identify access control and account management security measures.
- manage certificates.
- identify compliance and operational security measures.
- manage risk.
- manage security incidents.
- develop business continuity and disaster recovery plans
After mastering CompTIA’s vendor-neutral approach to Security students may wish to look to a vendor-specific approach to security in a Microsoft of Cisco offering. Additionally students may want to expand their security by knowledge by focusing on security policy and procedures in CISSP. For a more targeted approach to Security there is the CEH offering.
In order to obtain the Security+ Certification students must pass the Security+ 2011 Objectives exam code SY0-401.
There are no enforced prerequisites, however the recommended prerequisites are the CompTIA Network+ certification and two years of technical networking experience with an emphasis on security.
1 – Security Fundamentals
- Information Security Cycle
- Information Security Controls
- Authentication Methods
- Cryptography Fundamentals
- Security Policy Fundamentals
2 – Security Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Social Engineering
- Physical Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Network-Based Threats
- Wireless Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Software Based Threats
3 – Network Security
- Network Devices and Technologies
- Network Design Elements and Components
- Implement Networking Protocols
- Apply Network Security Administration Principles
- Secure Wireless Traffic
4 – Managing Application, Data and Host Security
- Establish Device/Host Security
- Application Security
- Data Security
- Mobile Security
5 – Access Control, Authentication, and Account Management
- Access Control and Authentication Services
- Implement Account Management Security Controls
6 – Managing Certificates
- Install a Certificate Authority (CA) Hierarchy
- Enroll Certificates
- Secure Network Traffic by Using Certificates
- Renew Certificates
- Revoke Certificates
- Back Up and Restore Certificates and Private Keys
- Restore Certificates and Private Keys
7 – Compliance and Operational Security
- Physical Security
- Legal Compliance
- Security Awareness and Training
8 – Risk Management
- Risk Analysis
- Implement Vulnerability Assessment Tools and Techniques
- Scan for Vulnerabilities
- Mitigation and Deterrent Techniques
9 – Managing Security Incidents
- Respond to Security Incidents
- Recover from a Security Incident
10 – Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Planning
- Business Continuity
- Plan for Disaster Recovery
- Execute Disaster Recovery Plans and Procedures